Friday, July 22, 2011

Start where you are

I know I'm no longer employed by the district, but an old habit of communicating with you all is a hard one to break...please forgive me!  Holly will soon take over and she is fabulous.  She is knowledgeable and willing to jump in with you. 

There's a new book titled: Start Where You Are, But Don’t Stay There.  It's premise is working with students whose background may not be yours...how to relate and nurture these students and thus work on closing the achievement gap.  I'm not here to tell you to buy the book, but to ask you to think about this title as a mantra for when you return to school and face a different grade level or challenge.  If you stay where you are, you will not be effective,  but where you are is the place to start.  Think about resources - people, publications, Internet, etc. that you can tap into that will help you move forward.  Let the challenges you face this year energize you and make you a more effective teacher. 

I look forward to visiting you sometime this fall and seeing what wonderful things you are doing in your classrooms with your students.

Kathy

P.S. No job yet... :(  still hoping, though!

1 comment:

  1. Well said Kathy! We all need to embrace challenges that come our way and remember why we decided to become teachers. In everything we do we should always take each day and look forward to what comes next. I know I am going to miss your posts and hope that you will continue to inspire us in the coming years in many other ways!

    ReplyDelete